LINKUP THE WORLD

are excited | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
tujue
tujue Feb 11

WASHINGTON, June 14 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday challenged the Republican-controlled Congress to reinstate the ban on assault weapons in the wake of the deadliest shooting massacre in the U.S. history.

"Reinstate the assault weapons ban, (and) make it harder for terrorists to use these weapons to kill us," said Obama at a press conference, warning that without such a ban, "these kinds of events are going to keep on happening."

The manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms was banned in 1994. However, when the ban expired in 2004, the U.S. Congress refused to renew the ban.

At least 49 people were killed and 53 others wounded, including a police officer, early Sunday in a shooting spree at a popular LGBT nightclub in Orlando, Florida. It was the worst mass shooing in U.S. history and the deadliest attack since the 911 terror attacks in 2001.

The gunman, identified by authorities as Omar Mateen of Port St. Lucie, Florida, was found dead inside the nightclub after a shootout with the police.

According to investigators, Mateen had an assault rifle and a handgun, both purchased legally early this month, and the U.S. authorities were highly confident that the gunman was radicalized on the Internet and was potentially inspired by foreign terrorist organizations.

"Enough talking about being tough on terrorism. Actually be tough on terrorism and stop making it as easy as possible for terrorists to buy assault weapons," said Obama. Enditem

BEIJING Maxx Williams Jersey , June 3 (Xinhua) -- China's twice Grand Slam winner Li Na gave birth to a baby girl, who is named Alisa, on Wednesday.

Li Na, who retired last September, released the news early Wednesday morning on her Weibo account, China's equivalent of twitter, and posted a footprint picture of her daughter.

June 3 is also the birthday of Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal. June 4 is the date when Li Na lifted her first Grand Slam title from the French Open in 2011. Li Na's fans quipped that Alisa is born for tennis.

As a good friend to Li Na, Zheng Jie revealed that Li Na was in Beijing for the delivery. "Everything was the same except for a big belly for her (Li Na) when I saw her last month before I departed for the French Open," said Zheng, who reached the French Open mixed doubles semifinal on Tuesday.

Li Na, who announced her retirement on Sept. 19 last year, has been hoping to have a daughter as her first-born as she always referred to the baby with "she" instead of "he" in interviews.

Li Na reportedly played tennis when she was pregnant. Li said she didn't take tennis as "pre-natal education", but she will guide her child to take up sports, not necessarily tennis alone.

According to Forbes fortune list, Li Na had earned 442 million yuan RMB (70 million US dollars) out of prize and sponsorship in her peak period of 2010-2014.

Li Na hopes her child can have a simple life. "My husband and I both agree to support our child for the first 18 years. After that the child has to be independent financially," said Li.

Local residents in Rio de Janeiro said on Thursday, the day before the 2016 Olympic Games officially kick off, that their city is ready for the big show, despite numerous reports of lingering problems plaguing the first Olympic Games to be held in South America.

Locals, from ordinary residents to police officers and even former Olympians, said they are excited about the Games and remain confident that it's going to be a safe, high energy Olympics.

"We are ready, it's going to be the best Olympics," Claudia Carmo, a former gymnast who represented Brazil at the 1980 Moscow Olympics, told the Global Times on Thursday in Rio.

"I'm so excited, my heart is flipping all day long. I'm so happy to be back in Rio where I was born, and see everybody smiling and everyone from all over the world cheering all the athletes that give their blood for so many years just for a chance to get a gold medal," said Carmo.

Carmo, who now resides in the US, recently returned to Rio with her husband Aureliano Carmo to enjoy the 2016 Games, including carrying the Olympic torch on Thursday night and attending the opening ceremony on Friday evening.

"Rio is a great, high energy town. I think the Olympics are going to have a lot of energy here," said Aureliano, a top gymnast and coach in his own right, who participated in two Olympic Games. "We are excited about all the things that are going to happen."

That excitement could be felt on Thursday in talks with locals across the city, even though, on the surface, it seemed to be just another day in Rio, with no big pregame celebrations taking place, and most locals working or relaxing on the beach, as if oblivious to the coming spectacle.

Despite this illusion, locals were quick to list reasons for their excitement over the Olympics.

"This is our soul, we live sports every day, going to work, coming back and finding more sports," said local resident Eduardo Molinari as he prepared to kite surf near Barra da Tijuca, an area that draws thousands of locals to its beautiful beaches to enjoy outdoor activities including running, biking and surfing the waves.

"I'm very excited because it's a lot of people having fun and celebrating sports and happiness," Molinari told the Global Times on Thursday.

"In Rio, we are all about health, happiness and sports," making Rio the perfect place for the Olympics, Carmo said.

The excitement was also shared by police officers, who have been assigned to protect the Maracana Stadium, the main venue for the Rio Olympics.

"We are very excited for the Rio Olympics, the first in South America," said a police officer, who didn't provide his name, outside of the stadium.

The officer told the Global Times on Thursday. Cheap T-shirts   Wholesale Jerseys China   Cheap Sports Jerseys   Cheap Jerseys Online   Cheap NCAA Jerseys   Cheap T-shirts   Cheap NHL Jerseys Shop   Cheap NFL Jerseys China   Cheap Baseball Jerseys   Cheap Shirts China 

0 0 0
Share:

Birthdays

Custom text/HTML

No Content

Upcoming events

How to watch nfl super bowl 2019 live stream
nflsuperbowlnews Super Bowl 2019 updates NFL Super Bowl 2019 NFL Super Bowl update ...
How to watch nfl super bowl 2019 live stream
nflsuperbowlnews Super Bowl 2019 updates NFL Super Bowl 2019 NFL Super Bowl update ...
https://bowl-supers.com/
Super Bowl https://bowl-supers.com/ Super Bowl Super Bowl 2019 2019 Super Bowl Super ...
https://nfl-superbowl.com/
Super Bowl https://bowl-supers.com/ Super Bowl Super Bowl 2019 2019 Super Bowl Super Bowl Parad...
https://super-bowl.ml/
Super Bowl https://super-bowl.ml/ Super Bowl Super Bowl 2019 Super Bowl Live 2019 Super Bowl S...